What is an SDC?
A System Development Charge, or SDC, is a one-time fee that all new and expanding development, both residential and business, pays. SDCs are a source of funding for new infrastructure such as streets, sewage treatment, water systems, stormwater drainage, and parks.

Why do we have SDCs?
SDCs help the City provide for increased capacity needs due to growth and development, maintain health and safety, and preserve the community’s investment in its resources. As the population expands, new infrastructure must be constructed to meet a greater demand for services. Without SDC funds, the infrastructure would soon reach capacity causing difficulties for existing residents and restricting further growth. Medford uses SDCs, utility rate revenues, bond debt and, in the 1980’s, general property taxes to construct infrastructure for a growing community.

Who pays SDCs?
SDCs have been collected on all new development in the City since 1980. The City operates with the philosophy that everyone pays for their share of capacity in the infrastructure system. Existing residences and businesses paid for their share when constructed. As new development is built, it pays for additional upgrades or additions to the infrastructure system.

How are SDC Rates Determined?
Long-term master plans forecast infrastructure needs, such as new roads or parks, which the City’s growth will require. These master plans show the capital improvements proposed, typically over a 20-year period. The plans are then used to calculate the SDC revenue that will be required to construct those projects.

  • What do SDCs pay for?
    Streets - The Street SDC helps fund roadway improvements for arterial and collector streets in Medford. This fee is calculated based on how many “average weekday trips” the new development will generate.
  • Sewage Treatment - The Sewage Treatment SDC pays a property’s share of capacity in the wastewater treatment plant. The treatment plant is being expanded to allow for growth in new and redeveloping areas. This SDC fee is calculated based on the potential amount of wastewater that could be discharged to the treatment plant by a new development.
  • Sewage Collection - The Sewage Collection SDC helps pay for larger sewer pipes and expansion of the City’s sewage collection system. This SDC fee is also based on the potential amount of wastewater that could be discharged into the collection system by a new development.
  • Stormwater - The Stormwater SDC is used to improve and expand the City’s stormwater drainage system to manage quantity and quality of stormwater runoff. This fee is based on the square feet of impervious surface, e.g. roof, driveway, parking lot, etc. of a given development.
  • Water - The Water SDC is required of all new or enlarged water services and is used for expansion of the Robert A. Duff Water Treatment Plan, and for major transmission expansions. The amount of this SDC is determined by the size of the water meter being installed. New customers located in the high elevation areas on the far east side of Medford pay an additional SDC to fund construction of pumping, storage and transmission facilities necessary to serve that area. This SDC is calculated based on the size of the parcel being developed.
  • Parks - The Parks SDC is required of all new development and is used to purchase and develop land and other park facilities that have been approved through the required methodology and project list for developing such fee. The fee is set at different rates for specific types of residential development and is based on the number of employees for commercial and industrial development.

When are SDCs paid?
The SDCs are usually paid at the time the building permit is issued. However, the stormwater SDC for residential development is paid by the developer. Occasionally SDCs are collected when a business license is issued, if a change of use has occurred. SDCs may also be financed on a ten, fifteen, or twenty year contract, called Bancrofting. In this case payments are made semi-annually, and the contract is a lien on the property.

How much are my SDC fees going to be?
If you know what type of building, the nature of the occupancy, and the size of the building, we can provide an estimate of what the SDC fees will be for streets, sewer and storm drains. Contact Engineering and Development at 541-774-2100.

Single-Family and Multi-Family Residential Rates(PDF, 94KB)

The Water Commission (541-774-2430) is responsible for an SDC for the water system and the Parks Department (541-774-2400) is responsible for an SDC for new parks. If you would like an estimate for either of those fees please contact the appropriate department.

Can SDCs be appealed?
Yes, but the right to appeal SDC fees must be exercised within 10 days of the date of payment of the SDC.

How can I find out more?
If you have questions about SDCs or need additional information, contact one of the following departments:

Street, Sewage Treatment, Sewage Collection and Storm Drainage SDCs:
Engineering and Development Division
200 S. Ivy Street - 2nd Floor, Lausmann Annex

Water SDC:
Medford Water Commission
Room 177, Lausmann Annex

Parks SDC:
Parks & Recreation Department
Santos Center, 701 N. Columbus Avenue

Rogue Valley Sewer Services
138 W. Vilas Rd. Central Point, OR 97502
541-779-4144 or 541-664-6300


Utility connection fees are required whenever a new connection needs to be made to either an existing public sanitary sewer main or public storm drain main. If there is an existing service lateral in place, there is no connection fee. However, System Development Charges may still apply.

A permit is required prior to making a connection to either a City sanitary sewer main or a City storm drain. These can be picked up and paid for at the offices of the Engineering and Development Division located on the second floor of the Lausmann Annex, 200 S. Ivy Street, or they may be paid as part of a building permit. In this case, the fees are paid at the Building Safety Department, also located on the second floor of the Lausmann Annex, 200 S. Ivy Street. 

Inspection permit fees for connection to a City sanitary sewer or storm drain facility vary from $78 - $102, depending on location.

Connections to sanitary sewer mains that are part of the Rogue Valley Sewer Service (RVSS) service area have to be coordinated through the RVSS office at 138 W. Vilas Road, Central Point. Call 541-779-4144.


There are various special permits that are required by the City any time work is being done within the public right-of-way.

a. Residential, new single frontage $48/lot
b. Residential, new corner lot $84/lot
c. Multi-family/comm'l/ind lots, new $48/100' segment
d. Repair and/or replace $48/lot
2. Driveways
a. Curb Cut Only $24/ea
b. Std residential/comm'l/driveway apron $54/ea
c. At-grade comm'l dwy w/radius returns $72/ea
d. Extra-width driveway $54/ea
a. Furnish/install by city (per Lin Ft)
1.) 12" $54
2.) 15" $60
3.) 18" $66
4.) 21" $78
5.) 24" $84
6.) 30" $132
b. Inspection Only: F&I by Contractor $72
4. Misc. Underground in Public R/W:
a. Local St or <1/2 Art'l/Collector St $66/trench/pit/hole
b.>1/2 width Art'l or Collector St $120/trench/pit/hole
5. Above Ground Work in R/W (traffic control,
Inspection for tree trimming, etc.)
6. Street Light Inspection and Start-up $174/light
7. Revocable Permits for private use of R/W $376
8. House Moving Permit Actual cost of staff time


Driveway culverts are normally installed by Public Works crews. Please call 541-774-2600 at least 96 hours (4 days) prior to desired date of installation to allow for utility locates.

All of the above permits can be obtained from the Engineering & Development Division of Public Works, located on the second floor of the Lausmann Annex, 200 S. Ivy Street 541-774-2100.

All of the above permits require inspection by a Public Works inspector. Please call 541-774-2100 at least 24 hours in advance to request an inspection.


Streets which have been newly surfaced or resurfaced shall not be cut for a period of three (3) years (residential streets) or five (5) years (arterial and collector streets). If cutting a newly surfaced street is necessary, the applicant will pay the following fee for each trench:

Residential Streets = $1,146
Arterial/Collector Streets = $2,293


Following is a list of fees charged by the Engineering and Development Division of Public Works for final plat review, as well as for engineering plan review and construction of public improvements by developers.


A. Surveying

Land Divisions $560 plus $60/lot.
Condominiums $159 plus $27/Bldg and $27/unit.
Post-Monumentation Check $143 plus $12/lot.


B. Traffic Signs & Devices

a. Street Name Signs $95 ea
b. Stop Signs W/stop bar $239 ea
c. Yield Signs $86 ea
d. Dead-end or Speed Signs $86 ea
e. Dead-end Barricades $233 ea
f. Carsonite Reflectors $23 ea
g. Street Light Start-up $53 ea
h. Fire Hydrant Markers $27 ea


C. Sanitary Sewer

Sanitary Sewer In-Lieu-of-Assessment Fees Varies


D. Storm Drain

Storm Drain SDC Fees $683.56/lot


Plan Review and Construction Inspection Actual Staff Cost +30%
T.V. Inspection of Sanitary Sewer and Storm Drain
1st Inspection
Call back Inspection Actual Staff Time + 30%
Processing "As Built" Plans $85
Minimum Access Drive - Plan review Only $200