Special Event Permit

A Special Event consists of private events, sporting events, public events, and fairs & festivals. They are considered ‘special’ events because they are outside of the host’s normal business, program, or activity.  Special events are generally hospitality or entertainment-based, and are therefore of a social, rather than business or fundraising, nature. (see municipal code 2.185 (7)).

A Special Event requires pre-approval and advisement from City staff, for a preplanned activity, sponsored by an individual, group, and/or organization proposed to be held in the City of Medford which will impact public property, normal vehicle and pedestrian traffic, and/or the safety of citizens and visitors, thus needing the services of the City.

A Special Event permit request will need to be submitted to the Parks, Recreation & Facilities Department in advance if your event includes one or more of the following.  The size of the event determines the submission deadline.

  • Anytime an event, party or activity expects to draw 50 people or more, in the public right-of-way (park, street etc.)
  • Anytime an event on a residential or commercial right-of-way is likely to obstruct, delay or interfere with normal flow of pedestrian or vehicular traffic
  • Parades/marches, rallies, processions or mass gatherings
  • Anytime an event is held on private property and the event affects or impacts the City, surrounding public or private property, or which may involve an improper use of the property under the City ordinances such as zoning restrictions, noise restrictions, consumption of alcohol, temporary portable sign permits etc.
  • Outdoor concert, performance and entertainment, public or semi-public, dance, or recreation event
  • Circuses, carnivals, fairs, and festivals
  • Farmer’s markets and swap meets
  • Athletic event including walks, runs, bicycle and vehicle races Organized/sponsored vehicle and boat shows
  • Sales event outside the normal sales area of a business, such as a sidewalk and parking lot sales and other special promotions
  • Fireworks display
  • Consumption of alcoholic beverages (see municipal code 5.310)
  • Amplification (bullhorn, microphone, speakers, music, live band, etc.)
  • Street/Sidewalk/Alley Closures

Please contact the department to reserve and pay for the park space and permit and complete the special event permit application(s) that directly relate to the type of event you are organizing. Applications are located in the menu to the right. If you are uncertain which packet to complete, or you have additional questions regarding the special events request process, you may call (541) 774-2405.

Once you have completed the appropriate packet, including all items on the checklist, please submit to sandi.sherman@cityofmedford.org.  City staff may require a pre-event planning meeting with the applicant.